Saturday, July 30, 2005

it sucks to be me, yeah!

In this picture, taken outside the Golden Theater, Pablo is the one who is not like the others. He's a regular Trekkie Monster.

Finally was able to watch Avenue Q, and now I want to become a puppeteer again. It was my dream to become a Muppeteer, and I obsessed over the Jim Henson Hour (of which only a few episodes were produced, and IBC-13 kept on playing repeats). I was devastated when Henson died.

I had a huge crush on Steve Whitmire because he was the hand, er, arm/voice behind Bean Bunny, my favorite JHH character. Other loves: Jacquesroach and dreadlocked Leon. Kermit, whom I considered the nerdy god of Muppets, was too huge to be just a favorite.

Avenue Q was a trip. It's just plain wicked to see puppets saying "Shit" and flipping the bird. Of course, the play is about more than that. It's cleverness is in expressing (and mocking) adult anxieties through the comfort of a Sesame Street-like atmosphere.

If you ever wanted to go back to (or stay in) college, watch this play.